On June 9th, 2021 , The Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) announced the sixth release of Reportable Conditions Knowledge Management System (RCKMS) content for electronic case reporting (eCR) of 82 nationally notifiable conditions (NNCs) and 26 non-notifiable conditions. RCKMS stores comprehensive information on public health reporting requirements and acts as a decision support service (DSS) to determine if a potential case is reportable and to which jurisdiction(s). RCKMS is an integral part of the centralized infrastructure supporting eCR across the country.
There are currently 99 conditions available within the RCKMS Authoring Tool and in July 2021,108 conditions will be available for authoring by jurisdictions after the addition of nine new conditions in this content release (listed below):
- Work-related Asthma (WRA)
- Colorado tick fever
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) and Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD)
- Hepatitis E
- Japanese encephalitis virus disease
- Ricin Poisoning
- Seafood Poisoning
Please use the information provided below to access a shared folder containing the RCKMS content documents and guidance:
The RCKMS Content Release materials are available at https://rckms.org/content-repository/ under “RCKMS Content Release Materials”, and include the following components:
- Word documents containing the reporting specifications for conditions [RCKMS Reporting Specification Documents folder]
- Guidance documents with detailed information about the RCKMS content [README Files folder]
- Information about Reportable Condition Trigger Codes (RCTC) for 108 conditions* (condition categories listed below) [Reportable Condition Trigger Codes (RCTC) folder]:
|Condition Category||Number of conditions|
Respiratory Conditions (infectious)
Respiratory Conditions (non-infectious)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Toxic Effect of Non-Medicinal Substances
Vaccine Preventable Diseases
Waterborne (not enteric)
- RCKMS value sets published in the National Library of Medicine’s (NLM) Value Set Authority Center (VSAC) (https://vsac.nlm.nih.gov/)
Please read the guidance documents in the README Files folder for detailed information about interpreting the RCKMS reporting logic, RCTC, and accessing RCKMS value sets in VSAC.
*Note: New RCKMS Content for nine non-notifiable conditions is included in this release; refer to RCKMS Condition Codes. 20210609.xslx for a list of conditions available, and corresponding condition codes used in RCKMS. Please note that condition categories have been revised for this release to provide a more accurate representation of conditions in RCKMS.
How to submit your questions, feedback, and change requests for RCKMS Content:
- If you have any questions or feedback about the RCKMS content, or would like to request changes or additions to RCKMS reporting criteria, RCKMS value sets, or RCTC to meet your jurisdiction’s reporting needs, please submit your request here: RCKMS Ticket.
- The deadline to submit any requests for changes/additions to RCKMS reporting criteria, RCKMS value sets, or RCTC included in this release is Friday, October 15, 2021.
Note: Feedback and change requests received by the deadline will be considered by the RCKMS Content Team and may be incorporated into the next content release.
Additional information about jurisdictional authoring schedules and guidance for RCKMS users is forthcoming.
CSTE RCKMS Team